- We welcomed Patrick home in January after 6 months in Afghanistan. He got to meet Gunnar for the first time when little man was 4 months old. Big day for all of us.
- We witnessed lots of Gunnar's firsts together, like first solid foods, first words, first steps, and first trip to the ER.
- At work, Patrick took over as a Company Commander, and was instrumental in the development of the battalion's new radio recon capabilities. (He thought 'instrumental' was too strong of a word... but hey, I'm one proud wife. And if he's not 'instrumental' then what are all the late hours for?!)
- Patrick also graduated from jump school after completing 3 weeks of grueling training, and 5 jumps in 2 days. He has since done several more jumps and is well on his way to receiving his gold wings.
- Gunnar had his first birthday! We had a little man party, complete with mustaches all around.
- We bought a new truck, black beauty. We can now drive the whole family in either car. Big things. Now if we could just sell the old one...
- We also found my mom's German family. She was adopted as a baby, and we never knew anything about her birth family. This summer she went to Germany and found them! We are so lucky that they are all such wonderful people. We've already had them come visit us, and we look forward to visiting them in the near future!
- Jack and Winston turned 5 and 4, respectively. They continue to be the best dogs ever, and are so good with Gunnar climbing all over them, and chasing them all day. We are eternally grateful for their never-ending, unconditional love.
- I kept everyone alive at home, and managed to make a few beds, vacuum almost enough to keep the dog hair at bay, and had some time left over for some dishes and laundry. Oh, and I cooked a lot of terribly boring and bland dinners.
- We got to spend lots of time visiting with family and friends in NC, SC, MD, and VA... although it is never enough!
- And one of the biggest things that happened this year: we renewed a lease! Pretty unbelievable that this is the first time we've ever done that. As of the 2nd, it was officially the longest we've lived anywhere. Three hundred and sixty-six days. Pretty amazing. While we are currently awaiting word of new orders any day now, hopefully we will have an even longer tenure in one house wherever we end up.
All in all, 2012 was a pretty great year and we are looking forward to an even better 2013. Happy New Year y'all! Only a few weeks late...
And this time last year we were here: