Monday, June 10, 2013


I know it's been a lifetime since I posted last, but life's been a little hectic.  So if there are any of you out there still reading, thank you.

June 6 was a big day for us.  It marked seven years that Patrick has been a Marine, and we celebrated it by moving out of the country.  Finally, we have arrived in the land down under.  The process of getting here was a little rough, but we survived.  I will spare you all the details, but here are the basics:  we spent roughly 20.5 hours on 3 different planes, no one had to be medicated to get through any the flights, we only missed one flight, and we only lost one bag.  We were able to get on the next available flight out of Sydney, and the lost bag arrived 1.5 hours after us, so we just waited for it.  Customs sucked, but that's a given.  The worst part of the trip was by far having to claim our 8 checked bags after clearing customs in Sydney, taking them to a separate, domestic transfer terminal, and recheck them (along with the carseat that wasn't allowed on the last flight).  It was quite the feat trying to steer two trolleys of oversized baggage, tote our 5 carry ons, and pull Gunnar in his carseat.  But we did it.  Did I mention on our 15 hour flight from LA, Gunnar slept for 12 hours straight?  It was in my lap, but still.  The kid is such a jetsetter.

The jet lag is whopping us.  For the two days we've been here, we have laid down for a nap in the afternoon (between 1 and 3) and we will wake up many hours later (usually around 3 or 4 in the morning) ready to go!  It's annoying, but at least we haven't had to buy dinner yet because holy cow is it expensive!  Yesterday we found an awesome little cafe, where I had the most amazing chai latte ever.  I don't think I will be able to settle for American lattes now.  I am ruined.  This morning we stuck around our hotel for breakfast and we tried vegemite, a small bit, but some none the less.  I thought it tasted like soy sauce.  Very salty.

We also spent yesterday walking all over the city, and we visited the Australian War Memorial.  It's beautiful, and they really did a phenomenal job of memorializing the Australian soldiers, airmen, and sailors who have lost their lives fighting for the cause.

I can see how things will take a while getting used to.  I don't know how many times I practically walked out into traffic because I was looking for cars coming the wrong way.  And it's so strange that we just left the heat of the summer, and here it's chilly and the leaves have changed colors and are falling from the trees.  There are also parrots that fly around, and magpies that make the craziest sounds I've ever heard come out of an animal.  We need to be careful though, because they both dive bomb and fly close to the ground.

All in all the first two days have been great, but we are missing our dogs something fierce.  Jack and Win, we love you!  We still have two more days here in the capital, and then it's one last flight north to Queensland and we can begin to house hunt and start the process of getting settled.  We'll do our best to keep everyone updated with info and pictures.  Thanks for all the prayers and support as we embark on this once in a lifetime adventure!  Stay tuned for photos...

No comments: