Wednesday, February 6, 2013

down under

If you know me and Patrick well, I am sure you have heard the story I should be telling now.  But because I love my husband so much, I won't say anything more than this: for the last 8 years, there has been a running joke amongst our families that Patrick owes me a trip to Australia.  Well, it turns out he has decided to cash in big time.  We are headed to the land down under.  For two whole years.

Yep, you heard right.  Orders are in, and ours are to Queensland, Australia.  From what I understand this is a Royal Australian Army base, so I am not expecting many, if any, Americans.  It will certainly be our biggest adventure to date.

We have absolutely loved our time in North Carolina, and are sad to see it end. And, I have never been more proud of Patrick (and his work) than I have been at this duty station.  I know, even through the long hours, he has thoroughly enjoyed the opportunities and responsibilities given to him as company commander.  We will definitely miss our 2D Rad Bn family.  But, nevertheless, I am slightly excited.  Actually, more terrified than excited, but I'm sure that will balance out as things get crossed off our never-ending 'to do' list...

Right now, I am still in a state of shock, and even re-reading these words I get dizzy.  Discussing things we need to do 'for Australia' still sounds like a joke.  We weren't expecting this at all.  It came up rather quickly.  One day Patrick got an email that a billet had opened up and he was on a very short list to fill it.  The next day he said we got it, and orders would be written up later in the week.  Crazy.  Now, we have a LOT of planning to do, and then some.  Stay tuned for plenty of exciting/scary things to come in the way-too-near future.  I still can't believe that in a few months we will be living on the other side of the world.  Wow.

No comments: