Thursday, July 25, 2013

flipping furniture

I've been keeping myself busy here in the land down under by upcycling furniture.  First was the headboard project, which luckily took all of 10 minutes (once I had the supplies).  The rest was not so easy... It has taken several weeks of searching Gumtree (Aussie's version of Craigslist) for used pieces of furniture that fit the vision I already had.  I managed to find a side table and a tv cabinet that would be perfect for mismatched nightstands.  I don't know why but I've been obsessed with the idea of mismatched nightstands.  The end result I can thank Pinterest for, but the beginning was not pretty...

I bought linens already (which are currently sitting in our FPO box just waiting for Patrick to bring them home to me), and (not that you care) they are a dusty (grey) blue, and a ginger color (think really dark coral).  So I wanted the nightstands to be blue so as to add a pop of color to the otherwise very neutral (tan and white) bedroom.  The blue I bought did NOT turn out how I was hoping, and I thought Patrick would kill me if I sanded it down and repainted.  Luckily, I found some crazy linens at Target that matched it perfectly (and our orange rug that we have in our shipment) and voila! we had a side table for the guest room, and linens to boot.  I slapped some new hardware on and everything was just right.  It is now dubbed "the table from Ipswich"...

Before:

 After:



As for our bedroom, I only had the one side table, and the task for finding the perfectly mismatched match began again.  I found an online silent auction for used furniture, which had an awesome antique table, and I bid on a whim, not knowing dimensions or anything.  Low and behold, I won, and I started to have buyer's remorse.  But once I picked it up and got it home and next to the other table; they were made for each other.  Since I clearly couldn't find a blue paint I liked, I opted for the tan/white neutral pattern, but wanted some way to make them stand out.  Thanks to Pinterest, I found tables with tan tops and white bottoms that I loved, but I also loved some with stripes.  So I figured I'd try and mix the two ideas and hope it wasn't "too much".  For the sake of keeping it simple, I opted for the original hardware.  The finished product?  I'm obsessed.

Before:

 After:



The last thing is a wooden tray I also picked up from the online auction, nothing fancy, but it will eventually fit in with our new living room...
Before:
After:

It's not as orangey as it looks in the photo, it's very golden.  

Stay tuned for more projects, and finished room reveals.  I've been very inspired by my new favorite Aussie show, The Block.  

No comments: