Tuesday, September 27, 2011

birth story. part 1.

I promise this birth story won't be in depth with gorey details.  For those of you that were hoping for that, I'm sorry.  But for those of you who will continue reading only after that disclaimer, you're welcome.

I know I'm a little late in posting this, the event was almost 2 weeks ago.  The memory is still very clear in my mind.  The good and the bad.  I am only finding the time now since I am back on bed rest to finish healing (minor setback in that process...) and because Guns is resting comfortably on my chest and I cannot bear the thought of moving him to his pack 'n play right next to me.  I just love cuddle time with my little man.  We have a momma's boy in the making here folks.

But I digress...

As you all know, I was due on the 13th.  That day came and went.  We even had family and friends stop by that night who admitted later (certainly not to my face then) that I was no where near close to labor.  They said amongst themselves "Oh that baby hasn't dropped yet" and "her ankles are no where near swollen enough".  They thought I was a ways away.  I did however notice they may or may not have been thinking that when I expressed to them I had no nesting instincts whatsoever.  Well I proved them wrong!

Just two and a half hours after that day was over I awoke to my water breaking.  I wasn't sure though because it wasn't like how it is in the movies (it never is, is it?) so I waited it out a while.  After a little while I was fairly certain what I was experiencing at least warranted a call to my Dr.  The on-call nurse called back very quickly, and after I explained what was going on, he said that he would call the hospital and tell them I was on my way.  Um, hello reality check!  I promptly looked at my dogs and started sobbing, knowing that the lives they knew would soon be over.  They would no longer be our only babies.  But they are taking it quite well I think...
So after I semi-gathered myself together, I made a quick call to my older sister, Kelly, and then I went upstairs to tell my mom we needed to go.  Oddly enough she was up and on her way to check on me.  It took me a few minutes to make sure I had everything I needed and we were off.  Oh yeah, and after several hundred puppy kisses...

We weren't exactly sure where we were going, so we 'accidently' ran a red light getting into the hospital.  But it was like three in the morning so I don't think anyone cared.  We found the entrance to the women's center and I walked in and the guy at the front desk just kind of stared at me, he looked like he was on hold on the phone.  Luckily there was a sign that told me labor and delivery was on the 4th floor and so I said to no one in particular "I think I'll just take the elevator".

When I got up there, things moved along pretty quickly.  Due to my 'condition' I bypassed triage and went straight to my LDR room (for those of you not in on the baby lingo, LDR means labor delivery recovery).  I got all strapped in and hooked up, pretty much hurry up and wait.  Good thing the Marine Corps trained me well for that!  At that point it was about 3:30 am.  Absolutely nothing happened for a very long time... Kelly arrived around 6:30, just in time for more waiting.

It is pretty crazy that I had spent weeks dilating and my water broke hours before and I still hadn't felt a single contraction.  I guess I was pretty lucky in that aspect, but I made up for it don't worry...

I'm going to stop there so as to not bore you, and so that this isn't the longest post in the world.  And because little Guns is waking up and will undoubtedly be hungry.  Check back later for more!

No comments: