Thursday, May 17, 2012

8 months

It was 8 months ago today that I brought my little man home from the hospital.  With each month that passes I am more and more shocked at how quickly they go!  I don't think I'll ever stop saying that...

Guns has been SO much fun this month.  He is totally his own person now, and boy do I see some trouble in his future.  He wants to get into everything.  He says "mama" all the time now (hooray! I'm the winner!) along with a ton of other vowel-consonant combos that sound adorable all strung together.  He laughs like a real person now, and even though I miss his little baby giggles, the big laugh he has sounds even more funny coming from his little self.  He has also taken to roaring, singing, and grunting.  Love it!  He usually gets his shoulders involved, just like Dad.

My most favorite thing that he's doing now is reaching for me when he wants to be picked up.  Oh how it warms my heart!  It's like he's saying "Mama I need you NOW"! 

He's still working on crawling.  He will do it the conventional way sometimes, but he seems to like scooting on his belly best.  He also does this mountain climber variation where he will walk with his feet and his hands.  Quite interesting.  Just goes to show he's getting stronger by the day... he's even pulling himself up in his crib now (we dropped the mattress not a minute too soon)...

I have a feeling he's going to be the sweetest little terror.  I'm really going to have to work on my poker face since he's just so cute when he's being "bad".  He loves banging things, anything, even just his hands, on the table, floor, your face, whatever.  And just the other night he started telling us "no" by shaking his head, and Patrick and I couldn't stop laughing, so of course he did it more, and more, and more, and well you get the picture... So now I'm trying extra hard to work on positive motions like waving, blowing kisses and clapping.  We'll see how that goes...

He is getting taller by the second, and we already have a toddler seat waiting for him to hop into when his infant seat is outgrown... I know they recommend babies to stay rear facing for the first 2 years, but there's no way that can happen for us.  First of all, his legs have been scrunched up against the back of the seat since he was 6 months old.  And second, and most important of all, his seat is only safe as long as the top of his head is more than an inch from the top.  He has maybe an inch or two of wiggle room before it is no longer safe.  Hopefully we can wait it out until he is a full year before we turn him around, which worked for people for a long time before this recent adjustment in "recommendations".  Hopefully no one judges us, but seriously, we have a giant son.  What can we do?  I'd rather him fit the requirements of the seat and be early on the recommendation of the Dr. than be in a seat that is unsafe by being too small for him by the manufacturer's standards.  Plus, he loves the new seat already...
So for now, we will enjoy our little Goliath.  Which is a pretty easy thing to do... I mean, just look at that 8 month old tush!

No comments: