Thursday, June 2, 2011

freedom isn't free

This Memorial Day, I am extremely thankful for all of the brave heroes who put their lives on the line everyday so we can have things like 96's (or 3 day weekends for you civilians) to celebrate them. 

Since it is a day of remembrance, I will fill you in on the list of military members in my family.  It includes (but is certainly not limited to) my grandfather who served in the Air Force in WWII, my grandmother who served in the Women's Army Air Corps in WWII, my dad who served in the Navy and my husband who currently serves in the Marine Corps.  My great uncle Al was the first general to die in Vietnam.  My recent genealogy research has also led me to relatives who fought in the Civil War, Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, and one who even rode with Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders.  Apparently it's in my blood.  And I am so proud of each and every one of my loved ones who has served, and so glad we have a day to honor them.

After weeks of hard work, my own Marine earned some relaxing days off, which we spent with friends.  Kirt and Steph came to visit us (we miss you guys already!) for a few days and the weather couldn't have been better.  We spent about 5 full days at the beach, and our nights included some concerts, a particularly delicious dinner, mini golf, go kart racing, and old traditions like wing night, the best ice cream shop in the world, and (trying to find) karaoke.  Pretty much, we had a blast. 

Patrick & Kirt heading out to boogey board the waves
Husbands or children?
Riding the "train" to our mini golf course
"it's all part of the golf experience"
 the crew at Molly's Beach Bar
 Ballyhoo's Wing Night
Three words: Key. Lime. Pie.  Ice cream that is.
Patrick & Kirt go-kart racing

Thanks to Steph for all the photos!  And thanks for visiting guys, can't wait to see you again soon!

No comments: