Monday, January 2, 2012

just like penicilin.

A few weeks ago, a fortunate accidental discovery was made.  I didn't post about this earlier so as to not jinx myself, but...

Gunnar will sleep through the night in his crib!


I think it was much, much easier on him then me though.  I tried to stay in my room (our doorways are separated by roughly 15 feet of living area) but the monitor wasn't cutting it.  I may or may not have (but definitely did) camp out on the floor next to his crib.  I know, slightly crazy, I probably need medication.  Do anti-anxiety drugs help with extreme paranoia?  I was convinced someone was going to break in during the night and steal him away from me.  Or some other equally unthinkably awful thing would happen.  I will say I only stayed for a few minutes.  No, seriously.  It couldn't have been more then 10 20.


Part of the problem was that I wasn't mentally prepared for this event.  I had been telling myself for weeks that I was going to try it.  At two months, then at three months.  It never happened.  He had been sleeping like a champ in his pack and play, but then all of a sudden he hated it.  As soon as I would lay him down he would be wide awake no matter how deep a sleep he was in.  So I had resorted to having him sleep with me.  And with dogs (one of which is 80 lbs) that climb all over the bed in the middle of the night that's just down right now safe.

So I was rocking him in his room the other night, and I thought "you know, we'll give this a shot".  He fussed for the tiniest bit and I popped in his paci and he was out.  For seven hours.  Seven hours with my ear glued to the monitor (that is, when I wasn't actually in the room with him).  It was a rough night for me, but it has gotten easier as the nights go on.  I hope that I eventually won't be all doom-and-gloom when I put him down, but that might be years down the road.

No comments: