Monday, January 2, 2012

smile. you're on candid camera.

That's how I felt moving into our new house today.  It must have been a hidden camera show.  I'll start from the beginning...

I got a later start than I wanted.  In retrospect it probably would have been better to wait until the morning to leave.  Hindsight is 20/20 after all.  Well by the time I got to the island it was dark, which doesn't bode well for my anxiety/paranoia (you remember... from my last post).  Well, while I was busy worrying about how I was going to sleep in an empty house, I was blindsided...

We (Guns and me) arrived and I promptly got my sleepy angel out of the car and went to take him inside.  I climbed the absurd amount of stairs just to get to the top and realize that someone else's key was in the door, and the door was open.  Not just unlocked.  O-P-E-N.  Cue:  turn around.  Since my landlords live in New Jersey (and clearly weren't the ones who were in the house nor could they pop over to check things out), I was lost at what to do next.  So at the advice of my mother, I got back in the car and drove our butts to the police department.  I gave the guy there my story, and he called for a patrol car to meet me.  I waited there for an officer to follow me home.  He went inside and searched the house and made sure all the doors and windows were appropriately locked, asked if I was okay staying alone, took my info and was on his way.  But not before he offered to help me carry things inside.  I didn't accept his offer but thought it was nice he asked.

I finally got to take Gunnar inside and get him settled.  I did a re-check of the house for my own sanity, and then I went to go unload the car.  I open the door and a cat was relaxing on the stairs.  As I stared at it, not sure what to do, it casually walked in the house.  Umm, hello?!  Well Cat, as I affectionately called it, wandered around for a few minutes, and eventually made its way back out the door.  But it continued to lay on the stairs and watched me unload the whole car.

Several hours later, we are resting comfortably on our mattress on the floor.  Snuggled up, watching a movie. Trying to will myself to sleep, but the paranoia is eating away at me.  Looks like I will only be able to get some rest only with the rising of the sun.

Update:  I slept about as well as I suspected.  And, we survived!  Also, Cat came back for round 2...

No comments: